Coursera was launched in 2012 by two Stanford Computer Science professors, Andrew Ng and Daphne Koller, with a mission to provide universal access to world-class learning. It is now one of the largest online learning platforms in the world, with 129 million registered learners as of June 30, 2023.
Coursera partners with over 300 leading university and industry partners to offer a broad catalog of content and credentials, including courses, Specializations, Professional Certificates, Guided Projects, and bachelor’s and master’s degrees. Institutions around the world use Coursera to upskill and reskill their employees, citizens, and students in fields such as data science, technology, and business. Coursera became a B Corp in February 2021.
Join us in our mission to create a world where anyone, anywhere can transform their life through access to education. We're seeking talented individuals who share our passion and drive to revolutionize the way the world learns.
We at Coursera are committed to building a globally diverse team and are thrilled to extend employment opportunities to individuals in any country where we have a legal entity. We require candidates to possess eligible working rights and have a compatible timezone overlap with their team to facilitate seamless collaboration. As a remote-first company, our interviews and onboarding are entirely virtual, providing a smooth and efficient experience for our candidates.
Reporting to the Director of FP&A, the Finance Manager will support the business while also establishing effective planning, forecasting, and reporting processes that scale with our growth. You will strive to establish FP&A as both an enabler and a control function in providing strategic decision support to our Business Leaders and maintaining strong processes and operating oversight. You will drive truth-seeking analysis critical to optimizing Marketing, Product, and tech resource allocation and to effectively balance Coursera’s high growth trajectory with desired operational improvements. This is a high visibility role where you will prepare presentations and provide strategic advice and support for executive staff, including the CEO, CFO, and BOD.
- Conduct in-depth financial analysis to track and report on sales performance, including revenue forecasting, sales trends, and profitability analysis. Provide actionable insights to the Sales team and senior management
- Collaborate with Sales leadership to develop and manage annual budgets and sales forecasts. Monitor actual performance against budget, identify variances, and recommend corrective actions as needed
- Collaborate with Sales and Pricing teams to develop and implement pricing strategies that maximize revenue and profitability while remaining competitive in the SaaS market
- Evaluate customer contracts, including subscription agreements and service-level agreements, to ensure they are financially sound, compliant, and aligned with business objectives
- Define, track, and report on key performance indicators (KPIs) for the Sales team. Identify areas for improvement and work with Sales to implement strategies that drive growth
- Ensure compliance with revenue recognition standards (e.g., ASC 606) for SaaS revenue, including proper documentation and recognition methods
- Assess financial risks associated with sales initiatives and develop strategies to mitigate them. Provide recommendations for risk management and contingency planning
- Prepare and present financial reports to senior management, providing insights into sales performance, revenue trends, and opportunities for improvement
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams, including Finance, Sales, Marketing, and Product Development, to ensure alignment and achieve overall business objectives
- Identify and lead initiatives to improve financial processes, systems, and tools to enhance efficiency and accuracy in financial reporting and analysis
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting, or a related field
- 5+ years of experience supporting a Sales and/or Services organization
- Prior experience managing large volumes of data and driving insights through testing and analysis
- Demonstrated ability to work well under pressure, thrive in a fast-paced environment and stay flexible through growth and change
- Experience with IBM analytics, Looker, Workday, Salesforce and/or Netsuite
- Proven experience with finance transformation, process re-engineering and improvements
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with demonstrated success in partnering and influencing senior leadership
- Demonstrated ability to communicate complex financial information in an easy to understand format
- Demonstrated ability to interact comfortably and drive alignment with the executive management team
If this opportunity interests you, you might like these courses on Coursera:
- Financial Analysis - Skills for Success
- Google Project Management
- Python and Statistics for Financial Analysis
Our job titles may span more than one career level. The starting base pay for this role is between $139,000 and $303,000. The actual base pay is dependent upon many factors, such as: training, transferable skills, work experience, business needs, and location. The base pay range is subject to change and may be modified in the future. This role may also be eligible for bonus, equity, and benefits.